Friday, January 8, 2016

STORM OVER A CUP OF TEA

VARSHA'S STORY
It was one of those rare days when I had to make lunch. I thought I would also get TNN  involved a bit in the kitchen, so I asked him to make a cup of tea for me.
Let me make it very clear right now, that my tea is one of the easiest to make. Just boil a cup of water in the electric kettle, get a cup, put my favourite tea bag in it, add the boiling water and voila my cup of tea is ready.
I never knew getting that simple cup would end up in an adventure and exploration rigmarole.
TNN started heating the water and then asked,"Which cup do you want, Large or medium?"
I said, " Medium"
TNN," None of the medium ones are around."
I said,"Ok, get one from the Dining Room cupboard."

TNN quickly brought around a mug which was a decorative one which I don't use, as it has a lovely Grand mother's slogan on it.
"This one?" he asked.
I said,"No, go to the cup board with regular cups in the Dining Room"
TNN went and got a regular cup, "Is this one OK?"


"Yes, that one is just fine,"said I.
Not withstanding what I had just said, TNN went back to the Dining Room again and dug deeper and came out with another cup.
" How about this one?" he asked. This was the third cup that was being offered.


By this time I had lost all my desire to have tea, and was wondering why on earth did I add to my own woes.
Yet I said patiently, " I had said that the earlier cup was Ok, so why are you going on an exploration?"
TNN said,"But the one that you said yes to, is actually  small, it only looks big, YOU can't make out"

That was the end of my patience and all desire to have tea and I vowed to myself,"Never again will I ask  TNN to get involved with the kitchen."
Later wisdom dawned on me.
That was the intention, "NEVER ASK ME TO MAKE TEA"
Lesson learnt.

TNN'S STORY
Yesterday, Varsha asked me to make a cup of tea for her.
It wasn't a big deal, it was just a simple cup of tea, she didn't actually ask for the moon!
Yet, I was a bit confused, what was the catch, after all she was already in the kitchen?
Never mind, I thought to myself, I shall make a lovely cup of tea for Her Majesty.
As I put the water in the kettle for boiling, I found that Varsha's favourite cup was no where around.
I asked her which cup could I use.
Varsha said,"Get one from the Dining Room cupboard."
When I went to the Dining Room, I found that there were two cup boards. The "Yaksha Prashna" or "Gordon's knot" in front of me was which Cupboard?
I took a chance and picked up a beautiful blue cup with a lovely slogan and took it to Varsha. She didn't want that cup and said that I should try the other cup board and find a regular cup.
I found a regular cup and asked Varsha,"Is this one OK?"
She said,"Yes, that one is just fine,"
But then my desire was to get her the perfect cup and I knew that this cup would be a compromise,  so I searched high and low and found a cup closer to the size that Varsha likes.
When I took the third alternative to Varsha and asked her about it, I got a patient," I had said that the earlier cup was Ok, so why are you going on an exploration?"

Although it was said very patiently, I knew that my situation was not  all that hunky dory, as I could smell some smoke in the background. Honestly, my imagination was not running wild!
I said,"But the one that you said yes to, is actually  small, it only looks big, YOU can't make out"

I am still wondering why Varsha refused to have the cup of tea that I wanted to make for her.
I tell you, these women! You can never please them!



5 comments:

Sublimation said...

Ha Ha, I fully empathise with Triloki. Reminds me of what happens in my house and I guess every other househo.ld. My wife has now stopped asking me to help her with household work convinced that i would botch it up (I don't mind admitting that it suits me :) ). Well, next time I guess you will make your own cup of tea to avoid the storm.

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Gulshan Dhingra said,"Big Storm in a small tea cup, indeed !"

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Dinesh Kalpathy said,"Happens all the time. Beautifully written. Went down smoothly."

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Chaitali Nagpal Hireker said,"Haaa! Haaa! Poor papa. .and that's why it was so beautiful to read. Well done author!"

Bal Krishna Gupta said...

Do cup roothe
Do cup haare
TNN Varsha
Sadke Tumhare! ☕️��

Related Posts with Thumbnails