Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A small conversation at KAUSHAMBI

Recently on a short trip to Allahabad, I went to see the ruins of Kaushambi which is about 60 kms away from the city.
ASHOKA'S PILLAR.
The ruins are of Ashoka's time dating to around 300 BC. Buddha had visited the place around 600 BC.
At the ruins there were about five young boys grazing their goats. 
One of the boys started talking with me and said, "These are very old ruins".
 I asked, "How old are they?" 
He said "Oh they are very very old, about 500 years old". 
I said "No they are actually 2400 years old." 
He said "Oh"! 
I said "Next time a visitor comes then  tell them these are 2400 years old".  
He said "Ok, I can only tell what I know"

Then he asked me, "Where have you come from?" 
I said "From Allahabad," 
He said "Oh illahabad." 
I said "Yes". 
Then he said, "Accha, phir toh dehati he ho"
I was taken aback, but then it took  me a couple of seconds to understand that what he meant was that I was one of them only. It was a rare feeling that I experienced, a sense of comraderie, belonging and affection.
This entire conversation was of course in Hindi with the beautiful accent that people of that area have.
If you have watched "Shatranj ke khiladi" then please recall the accent of the young boy serving the Nawabs when they go to the village to continue with their game of chess when the British troops invade Lucknow. That was the accent and the beautiful Hindi that the boy spoke with me in.
This conversation left a deep imprint on  my mind. So much that I thought I would share it with you.

CAN YOU SEE THE BEAUTIFUL BIRD?

3 comments:

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Chaitali Nagpal Hireker said," So sweet! The photo accompanying the blog should have been the boys

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Man Singh said,"A beautiful narration making one to ponder over as to how the local boy perceived Allahabad as Dehat.Little going back into history especially the Puranic prescriptions, Kausambi was the settlement on the banks of Jamuna The Puranas state that after the washing away of Hastinapura by the Ganges, the Bhāratas king Nicakṣu, great-great grandson of Janamejaya, abandoned the city and settled in Kauśāmbī.During Mahajanapada Era, Kausambi was big city as compared to Prayag holy teertha on the Sangam of three pious rivers."

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Malti Ghadge said,"Awaken self.void speak volumes."

Related Posts with Thumbnails