Tuesday, January 12, 2016

"Hand me down" meaningful stories

Let me share a hand me down story of a conversation between two hard of hearing friends.

There were two friends chatting over breakfast.
The first one said, " Hi, are you going to the market today?"
The second friend said,"No, no I was actually going to the market today."
First one replied," Oh! I thought you were going to the market today."

End of first story.

Second hand me down story:-

Everyday a Good Samaritan would pass the fish market on his way to work and also on his way back.
Everyday he would  see an old lady sitting with a basket of fish busily haggling over the price of the fish. On some days the fish were sold, on some days a lot remained unsold.
One day the Good Samaritan taking pity on her, thought that he would buy her entire stock at whatever price she quoted.
" Mai,  I see you trying to sell your fish daily. I can help you by buying your entire lot at whatever price you want as I have a friend who is a big fish monger in the city. Please tell me what price you want."
The old lady thought for some time and then said, " Child, this arrangement will not suit me. If I sell the fish to you in the morning what will I do with the rest of my day ? Now I spend my time talking with those who come to buy my fish. They share some time with me, talk about their work or family. They ask about my health, and sometimes even  ask for recipes. If you buy all my fish, I will not have these conversations and friends."

End of second story.

Moral of the story

I do believe conversations are very important.
Whether they are understood, misunderstood, meaningful or simply time pass, conversations  are interactions between human beings who have the great gift of language, speech, and empathy.
Dear friends who are reading this, "Please revive the art of talking, conversing, chatting, fighting!"

3 comments:

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Dinesh Kalpathy said,"Do we need comments. May be like the fishmonger, why not. The fun of buying in the haat has the additional dividend of human interactions. With e tailing catching on, may be the need will become much more widespread. Or do we see the eclipse of human interactions except through interfaces, like this one."

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Sudeshna Chakraborti said,"Both stories have lessons one can learn. The first one implies that a conversation can happen with a kindred soul.
The second story is how to alleviate loneliness creatively. I can appreciate this as I love the talks I have with kids as young as 14."

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Shikha Bhattacharya said,"Though disappointingly short, I enjoyed reading your stories very much."

Related Posts with Thumbnails