Monday, August 8, 2016

EIGHTH OF AUGUST.


Today is my daddy's birthday,
Had he been here,
He would still be cheerful, full of life,
Still teach us how to take it easy,
and never run away from strife.

His favourite quote was,
"khudi ko kar buland itna, ki har tadber se pehle,
Khuda bande se yeh pooche, bata teri raza kya hai"

I have tried all my life to follow in his footsteps, but I still have so many wishes.
I wish I had his cheerful attitude, which was very infectious,
I wish I could forgive people as easily as he did,
I wish I could accept the adverse situations of life,
I wish I would not allow people to break my spirit,
I wish I had his resilience,
I wish I could fight back and never accept defeat when wronged,
I wish I was as patient as he was,
I wish I paid more attention and learnt to be like him,
I wish he was there at the other end of the phone,
I wish I could hear him say,"Uke here" once more,
I wish I could see that child like pleasure again,
That delight, that fun and that eternal call for a cup of tea and moongphalli.

Today I wish all of us a very happy birthday daddy,
I know you remain in our memory, and live on with us,


I shall try to follow in your footprints, I will continue trying forever,
Because that is my real tribute to you, my dear father.

7 comments:

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Ujjwal Uke said,"Daddy you live within us. Yet all of us combined can't be the person you were. Those who knew you will understand."

Holding Hands said...

Such a moving and loving tribute to your father, Varsha Aunty! You bring him alive to us who never had the fortune of meeting him. What beautiful memories you have of him...for that is all we have, isn't it? Memories...here is to creating more such indelible memories for our loved ones.

Holding Hands said...

Such a moving and loving tribute to your father, Varsha Aunty! You bring him alive to us who never had the fortune of meeting him. What beautiful memories you have of him...for that is all we have, isn't it? Memories...here is to creating more such indelible memories for our loved ones.

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Gulshan Dhingra said," Time passes
Memories fade
Feelings change
Loved ones leave, but
The Heart never forgets !"

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Tania Singh said, "Beautiful Varsha Aunty. How can I forget him. He was like my Nana ji. I used to admire him a lot. He was so full of life. Will always always remember him.

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Shashi Puri said,"Hats off to you Varsha..... amazing way of putting your thoughts into words.
One has to try hard to be spiritual n he was a blessed spritual being. Lovely memories of his will sustain you through out your life. He is always with you n watching the world through your eyes."

LifeMantra said...

Hi Varsha Didi,

Your words really describe Uncles personality so very well. You would probably be surprised to know that he was a great influence during my growing up years. After all he was someone who my father looked upto and held in high esteem. My father would often tell us stories about uncle and one of my favourite one was how uncle's name is etched on the Hirakud dam where he was the chief engineer.
His visits to our house along with Aunty were much anticipated events. His unique style of greeting even us kids with a handshake would make us feel very important. Listening to the discussions between my father and Uncle would be the highlight of the evening. Irrespective of the topic, the conversations would always be logical, witty and fun. I was always amazed by the patience with which he would conduct any discussion.

Uncle was the pioneer in our family who took the first step (and what a giant step !) out of our ancestral village and opened the doors of progress for the rest of the family.

Related Posts with Thumbnails