Sunday, July 31, 2011

THE MARCH OF TIME


CELEBRATION OF TIME

Time just goes on and on and on. It never stops to take stock of what it left behind and never pauses to wait for anyone to catch up.
We keep running behind time trying to catch up with it. Someday when we stop and look back, we are surprised to find the many footsteps that we left behind us. Have we come such a long way? We wonder! Then we find that the face that looks back from then and the face that we have now has changed so much! Lines of wisdom, years, age have all left furrows on that once smooth cheek. The forehead has deep ridges like a train track. Though time has taken its toll externally, within we more or less remain the same.
THE WELL TRODDEN PATH
The same insecurities, the same fears, the same stage fright, the same inadequacies stare back at us. We are so busy running after time that we do not try to deal with these fears which keep on getting manifested within us.
I had this great fear of putting my head underwater. My husband tried very hard to make me overcome this fear, but I never managed. I had to keep my head over water come what may and so even when I went to the swimming pool everyday, I used to be the beached whale who never moved from the safest sanctuary.
My grand daughter who is 7 years old, used to try and encourage me. She would see me sitting in one place and come and tell me, "Nani, hold my hand, put your head under water, look, like this!" Her words and her desire to see me in water, made me "want" to get over this fear. 


Last week we went to a Holiday place called Centerparcs, near Cambridge. There is a beautiful swimming pool there with a number of rapids, slides, hot water, cold water and salt water pools. During my previous visit there, I used to simply sit in the hot water pool, which was a small enclosure. I would not move out of that enclosure even for two hours. This time with my new found determination to overcome my fear, when I found myself alone in the hot water pool, I slowly put my head under water, holding the sides of the pool with both my hands for dear life! I saw success! I could actually manage to hold my breath and remain under water. After coming out, I could breathe and was not gasping for breath. I tried it a few more times, and as soon as my inspiration Aaliya came to check on me, I told her, "Aaliya, I can put my head under water." We both then went to the Salt water pool where the rest of our family was busy swimming. I declared my new found capability and demonstrated the same to them proudly. I don't know if anyone would really realize how big that achievement meant to me. As chance would have it there was an under water photographer around, and we quickly got a photo taken of this memorable moment.

GRACEFUL GLIDING SWANS
Having got over this fear, I am now determined to learn swimming. Some day I will swim with my family. Everyone in my family takes to the water like a duck and hates to come out. Now I too will be able to join them!
Having said this, I wish to say, that there is no fear that one cannot overcome. Time will not stand by to allow us another extra moment. Within the time that we live, one has to make the most of it. Life is too short to dwell over miseries. Life and its memories are made up of our own experiences. It is in our own hands to make the experiences happy or sad. Each and every event in life can be seen from different perspectives. While the early bird catches the worm, it is also true that the early worm gets caught first and loses its life!

THE EARLY BIRD
I say enjoy every moment, savour life, take time to smell the flowers! Time is moving fast, and we cannot lag behind. Let's keep pace and stay with it. Let's not run after it!
WALK ON WITH TIME

3 comments:

Archana said...

Well done, it's a great high to face your fears and overcome them, even though I know swimming I m also scared to go underwater, will try it at the next opportunity.

ArchanA

triloki nagpal said...

Wow - you have become quite a philosopher; and of course you are a good writer.

triloki nagpal said...

PS - Put in the pic of the family underwater - if you do not want complete family pic - edit in Picasa and select the portion that you want to display.
you may delete this comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails