Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day and Night






Every morning as I walk on a path, I hear the musical chirping of birds, the rustling of leaves with a little breeze, and watch a bit of sunshine peeping out from the trees. These make my mornings so beautiful!
The same path when taken late in the night by me evokes the sensation of fear. I hear the hooting of the owl, the rustling of leaves, and also see a little sliver of the moon peeping from between the leaves, and instead of feeling nice and happy at the bounty of nature and natural surroundings; I actually feel a chill down my spine. It is fear! I want the path to end soon; I want to reach my destination as fast as I can. I double up my speed. In fact I find myself almost running the entire length back home. I look suspiciously at any person who passes me. I look with fear at every shadow that is cast around with the light of the moon.
In the morning when I walk on that very same path, every strangers' face is a friendly face with Good Morning written large on the face. The smiles are friendly. The rustling of the leaves make me feel the freshness of the breeze. The peeping sun tells me it's another day, which will be bright, beautiful, cheerful and purposeful. I look forward to the day ahead of me.


What happens at night?
Why is there the fear of the unknown?
Why does the rustling of leaves not make me feel cool and comfortable?
Why does every stranger appear like a potential monster? The smiles appear sinister?
Why? What is it about night and darkness that makes that very path become an endless journey?
The contrast of day and night make me wonder!


2 comments:

triloki nagpal said...

Very nicely put across. ...the fear of the unknown.
Such a thing would not happen if you were sure about your safety - it just shows that the law and order is actually deteriorating...

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

T. N...Actually fear remains within. It is not law and order that makes it happen.A child also fears the dark,without knowing about lapses of law and order.

Related Posts with Thumbnails