Wednesday, April 16, 2014

MY MANTRA FOR THE DAY!




I sometimes spend my time looking at photographs,
Some are on walls, some in albums, 
And some are memories etched on my mind.
These are memories of days gone by,
Of Lazy afternoons,
And rushed mornings, 
Languorous evenings,
And fixed bedtimes. 
Children's home work and assignments, 
Their long stories and their short attention spans.

Mornings were rushed with
Uniforms and bags, tiffins,  and the unwanted milk,
Some spilt and some deliberately thrown down the sink,
A hoodwinking son, a naughty daughter, 
Keeping a lookout for that monster of a mum!

Oh those luxurious days, which are now memories,
They brighten my days, and keep my afternoon reverie,
My evenings are spent waiting for the next day,
When I shall walk in my garden and find my way,
To the plaque on my wall which has this to say,
"As you go through life
Take time to smell the flowers".

This was a gift from my husband aeons ago,
 Who though miserly with words,
Has always chosen what he wants to say.
That plaque then just hung on the wall unread,
It's now become my mantra for the day!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowwwww!

Ranjana Bharij said...

Straight from the heart...so very true for all of us.

Bal Krishna Gupta said...

Yes Varsha,

Most of us go through the maze of life blind folded ; missing the joys of changing seasons, moods and relationships. By the time we near the destination we would have become vacuous and hollow.
The remote to change all that is within us all! But willingness? That is another matter!

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Aparna Lal Das said,"Wonderful! I feel our amazing minds appreciates everything as it ages.... Giving meaning to time gone by, finding reasons in the mundane and looking at it extraordinarily . We are after all a sum of our memories, product of our experiences, conditioned by our surroundings and circumstances. It is eventually our soul that keeps us ticking... The more we nurture it the more beautiful everything becomes. You are a writer that communicates!"

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Nilima Varma said,"flowers can actually relax u,they bring a big smile on your face"

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Gopa Roy said, "feeling really sad. miss those wonderful days. i keep telling my children relish these wonderful days though very hectic but wonderful"

Sublimation said...

"As you go through life
Take time to smell the flowers".

This reminds me of another poem 'Leisure'by W.H.Davies -

"What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare."

That is what happens to us as we go through the motions of living. It is now on retrospection that we realize what we had missed to appreciate. But it is not too late we can still smell the flowers. Nice thoughts!

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Sunalini Ram said," As a poet said " What is this life , if full of care , We have no time to stand and stare ..."As days go by our priorities need to change ."

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Anil Khurana said,"I like this"

Related Posts with Thumbnails