Thursday, November 4, 2010

4th November 2010.





On the see saw Varsha and daddy

We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun...... but Alas! All too soon, the days, months and years just rolled by and one day without saying goodbye to anyone my dad just died. None of his children was in Delhi when he died. One was in London, one was in Dar es Salaam and one was in Mumbai. None of us had ever thought that daddy would leave us, without telling us that he was going away. He was a very courteous  person and not a single day would pass without his wishing us a hearty Good morning, good evening or good night.
True to his nature, he did not give anyone even one hour of tension or anxiety at the hospital. No one had to EVER do a hospital run for my father. He was always very particular and took good care of his health. He was very regular with his walks, he was very careful with the food that he ate and  he was very generous with his time which was always available to anyone who approached him for anything.
He was a very caring, compassionate,and considerate person who had nothing but kindness for one and all. He was generous to a fault and was very approachable. He would go running to pick up the phone,and never thought that a phone at any odd hour was a disturbance. He could have been eating or sleeping, yet any phone call would always be attended to by him.
His helpful nature was such that anyone could approach him for help, and he would go out of the way to help the person. He would take the people in his own car all over Delhi and speak to any number of people to render help to the person. Often it was a thankless job, and he would not even get a verbal thank you in return. Even this sort of behaviour did not frustrate my father as, he thought that it was his duty to educate people. He would always say that if people do not know how to behave, then it is our duty to teach them.
Long long ago, in the 50's, he was posted at Nagarjuna sagar when the dam was being built. He was Deputy Director and had a jeep, which he loved to drive. While going to Hyderabad, he would give a lift to any number of people who asked for a lift. He would always say I need just a little space to drive, in the rest of the place, you people can adjust. His philosophy was, "arre bhai, bahut jagah hai, dil me jagah honi chahiye". I learnt this from him, and to this day, I can occupy the least possible space and accommodate any number of people in a car.
He was a person who believed whole heartedly in Buddha's philosophy of 'Atta Deep Bhava', which means be your own light. He believed that one must always reason out, and not follow anything blindly. His philosophy was very different from the philosophy of most parents who think that children must obey them as parents know best! We three children were given the freedom to  make all the decisions in our life. After one year of Engineering from IIT Delhi, Sunil my brother decided that he did not really like Engineering, so Daddy asked Sunil to study whatever he wanted to, and sure enough Sunil studied English Literature from St Stephen's College.






FUN LOVING PERSON


When he was Director in the Ministry of Defence Production, at a meeting with Mrs. Indira Gandhi he put forth his arguments on an important matter and convinced the then Prime Minister. Those were the days, when fearless men worked, spoke and were extremely honest!
He used to travel by Bus no 610 from Netaji Nagar to G block, his Office near Sena Bhawan. On returning home he would give his return journey ticket of Rs one to Anurag my son, who would wait everyday to get that ticket. Those were small gestures which brought big smiles.







Anurag with daddy in 2005
He was very simple in his needs. A beautiful song would bring tears to his eyes.He could forgive very easily. He never held a grudge against anyone. It was his generous disposition which made him always see the other side of a person's behaviour. He could reason out, and therefore could forgive easily.
He was extremely fun loving with a great sense of humour. He loved people and was the Pied Piper who could entice children away from their mothers. He was a person who would treat the lowliest of low with respect. He always remained a simple man from the very backward District of Gadchiroli,with impeccable manners, and style of a polished citybred.







Dad and mum 1949.
There are so many memories, which come flooding to my mind. Today, on the 4th death anniversary of my daddy, I wish for the legacy of having the generosity to forgive, the vision to see a beautiful world where there is no disparity, no discrimination, no favouritism, and no nepotism. I wish that I live a life as fulfilling as my father's. I wish that I never hold a grudge against anyone.
I quote from The Dhammapada,my wishes for everyone,


"Sabbe satta sukhi hontu, 

Sarve santu niramaya.

Sarve bhadrani paschchantu

Ma kashchit dukkhbha bhavata”.

Au revoir.

5 comments:

triloki nagpal said...

He was a person who one could trust and depend upon so easily.
Whenever Varsha & I would have a disagreement on any issue, I used to say "Even we have a divorce, daddy would still continue to remain my friend."
That is the kind of feeling he would generate in each and every person.

Raja Hireker said...

In certain languages, there are no specific words to describe a particular feeling, image, picture or thought. It just has to be experienced in order to get the true meaning. Those of us who have been privileged to have experienced someone so loving and so wonderful and so compassionate as Uncle, well, for me, there aren't enough words or sentiments to describe this one of a kind person. I love who Uncle was, what he stood for and the qualities he developed and importantly, used to the full. My experience with Uncle is one of my most valuable treasures. And to this day, I'm still learning from him. I love you Mama.

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

K K Rai uncle said,
"Varsha Beti ,
He lives in all of us . He , growing up as he did with all the opression , did not permit hatred to mar his psyche and devoted his time and energy to see to the extent he could, that others suffered less under the circumstances . Perhaps ypu would not be aware that I had talked to him in helping him in the cause espoused by him . Love . Uncle"

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Dear Varsha Aunty,
I visited your blog and went through a few of your entries...First of all, let me congratulate you on having such a wonderful blog where there is something of interest for everyone. I loved what you wrote about Uke uncle. When I think of him, the one image that stands out in my mind is that of an "English Gentleman"... he was always so polite, would always give me a firm handshake whenever we met, and was always so well dressed, esp in winters in one of his suits (grey coloured?). I remember once he had come to our home for dinner ... I must be around 11 or 12. Baba asked me to show him a poem that I had written. I was a little embarassed about it. But uncle took time to read the entire thing and had such wonderful things to say about it that I really felt proud of my work. He achieved a lot in his life-time both personally as well as professionally and would always be remembered fondly by everyone.
We had a great time when you all had come here for lunch...lets meet up on a regular basis.
Love

Chaitali said...

So firmly etched are the many lovely memories of days spent with daddy and anni...netaji nagar, munirka, vasant kunj.....the songs, the stories, balloons from CP, ice creams, tanga rides, phatfati ride, chaat, the support, the strength, the love, the affection...
I feel priviledged to have been close to him, to get his love and affection, to learn from him, and to hold him close to me forever.
We will always miss him
xxx
And, if there is anyone, who does justice to what daddy stood for, its you mummy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails