Monday, August 3, 2009

ROMANCE-1967 ISHTYLE.















Ranchi University, had this unusual practice of suddenly being declared closed "Sine Die", in the years when I studied there. Those years were when the town was in Bihar, and there was Naxal movement in it's infant stage. As soon as news of unrest came, the University went into it's cocoon and we boarders in the College hostel were asked to vacate the hostel and go home till the University reopened.
On one such occasion I went with my luggage, without a reservation or a ticket to Ranchi station to catch the Ranchi Patna Express en route to Delhi, where my parents had since been transferred. What do I see at the station, lo and behold, it is my friend, who I knew as Cuckoo, walking up to me. He guessed that I would be at the station and j-u-s-t came to say bye! Well, he wasn't in the vicinity at all - his college was about 20 miles away from the station which was considerable distance in those days. Well, he came and sat with me in the train, waiting for the train to leave. Before we realised the train had left the station. Cuckoo said, "Never mind, I will get off at the next station," which was Muri, about a half hour away. No my dear, it did not happen at Muri. The train went on traversing the distance, and this friend travelled all the way to Delhi, without a ticket, or any belonging. It used to take almost 36 hours to reach Delhi!!
Then before we knew it, there was Old Delhi railway station looming ahead. He came down to see me off in the next mode of transport, to take me home and headed back to the station to take the next train back to Ranchi!!
All this came back to me in a jiffy, while watching a very romantic movie-"Love-Aaj Kal". Saif takes a train journey to Calcutta to just catch a glimpse of Harleen. Catching a glimpse reminded me of the every night trip on the motor bike from the road in front of my house, simply to look and go by. Memories flood back and I am wondering, how did Saif catch all the era of romance-those little stolen glances, the touches of real life, which seems so unreal today. It really did happen. That was how romance was.
Movies have become so much better now. The take on real life, which touches the older as well as the younger generation is amazing. "Jab we met" was another beautiful movie, full of life and vivaciousness. The role of women in the movies have actually changed. They are no longer the sobbing, tragedy queens, sacrificing, trying to hold the home together. Girls have a life of their own, they take their own decisions, they move on, experimenting with life and its experiences. They are no longer Mimosa Pudica-or Touch me not. I had never thought that I would see the realistic portrayal of women in Hindi movies. I am so happy to see the media so progressed. Movies do leave a strong message and the impact is almost universal. The first movie which I thought was very real was "Baghban". Then, "Kabhi Alvida na Kahna, "Jab We Met" and now "Love Aaj Kal". All these movies were well liked and immensely popular. I guess, without knowing it, they have touched a chord where a new message is coming across strong and clear.
I do wish TV channels which leave a lasting impression on the minds of viewers, too would revolutionise their stereo typed image of women and cast them in more realistic roles, not as Sati Savitri totally white or totally black image of the vamp with hideous make up and huge ugly bindis on their forehead.
My romantic story????? Well, wait for the next episode-"aage parde par dekhiye"!!!!
Well, that was how story synopsis of movies in yester years used to end in filmy magazines :))))

1 comment:

Bal Krishna Gupta said...

Varsha, that Triloki jh3loed a chatter-box for 36 hours must have tested his patience. That too travelling WT. It compounds the ordeal. Really a gritty man and a Jiddi girl. You people kept on fighting on issues and gave birth to some issue(s) too.

Jab I read, I felt the olden day romance was golden compared to Love Ajkal! Kabhi Alvida na kehna!

Related Posts with Thumbnails